Utilities & Infrastructure

Argyle City Water Towers with windmill

Wastewater Utility Services

The Public Works Department is responsible for the operation and maintenance of the Town’s sanitary sewer collection system. The Town is responsible for the main (public) sewer line. The property owner is responsible for their sewer service line extending from the sewer tap at the town-owned main sewer line to the structure.

  • If you are experiencing sewer backup problems, please call the Public Works Department at 940-464-3449 during business hours of 7 a.m. - 3:30 p.m., Monday - Friday.

  • After hours or weekends, please call the Police Department at 940-464-7254 and email Troy Norton.

Sewer Backup Problem Reminders

  • Before calling a plumber: Contact the Town to check the main sewer line.

  • As a reminder: Do not put anything down your drains or toilet that does not belong, including, but not limited to, grease, kitty litter, diapers, or other foreign objects.

Street Light and Power Outages

Report a Street Light Outage

CoServ maintains street lights located in their service territory. If you notice a street light in need of a bulb replacement or repair, please submit this Street Light Outage form.  CoServe will complete the work in 7-10 business days.

When reporting, please provide the following:

  • Your contact information

  • City of outage location

  • Street light tag number

  • Subdivision of outage location (if applicable) 

  • Directions to outage location

Report Downed Power Lines and Other Electric Emergencies

  • Call (844) 330-0762

Check for Power Outages

To check for power outages, visit the CoServ Outage Map. Reporting an outage by text is easy. Just text OUT to 768482.